[asterisk-users] T1 Wire Level Tapping

Shane Spencer shane at bogomip.com
Sun Jan 28 12:55:00 MST 2007

I am trying to do a wire level tap on T1 equipment using digum
equipment.  So far most call monitoring hardware for call centers try
to stay on the analog side requiring a lot of rewiring.  I have
already posted to the list about T1 "bridging" using DAC's support in
the zaptel drivers.  I still don't know if I can spy on channel
information since I don't have any digium hardware on me until the
project begins.

Anybody found a method of spying on a D-Channel and all voice channels
using standard T1 equipment?  I am making a rough assumption that if I
can trick the zaptel drivers into operating without anything
responding to a TX signal then I can do the following:

S-T1 = T1 to Spy On
T1-1 = Digium T1 card #1
T1-2 = Digium T1 card #2

Map S-T1(RX) to T1-1(RX) and S-T1(TX) to T1-2(RX) and decode the
D-Channel where appropriate, should I be able to spy on the RX/TX
channels enough to make a recording including CID information?  This
would help in situations where the monitoring system needs to be
replaced or taken down without bothering in-progress calls.

Shane