[asterisk-users] Ringing oddity/stupidity

Leif Neland leifn at neland.dk
Sun Jan 28 08:59:25 MST 2007

J. Oquendo wrote:

> Anyone experience ring oddities with extensions.conf rollovers? Let me
> summarize...
> One of my extensions.conf file is built to ring during the day, ring/go
> to voicemail after a certain time:
> [main-aa]
> exten => s,1,GotoIfTime(17:00-8:30|mon-fri|*|*|*?main-night-aa,s,1)
> exten => s,2,GotoIfTime(*|sat-sun|*|*|*?main-night-aa,s,1)
> [main-night-aa]
> exten => s,1,Answer
> exten => s,2,Background(/etc/asterisk/night)
> exten => s,3,Voicemail(u201 at fakepbxname)
> exten => s,4,Hangup

> When in night mode, if someone called, while Asterisk would show the
> phone as ringing (and INDEED the phone would ring) the caller wouldn't
> hear the phone ring. No music, no ringing no thing until the amount of
> time the rings ran out and then be transferred into voicemail. So...
> (un)Leet ASCII explanation:
> Caller (after hours) --> Dials in --> Press extension --> Asterisk makes
> transfer --> Caller hears dead air --> No one answers --> Voicemail -->
> Caller now hears voicemail prompts

According to the dialplan, there should be no ring at all, it should go
directly to voicemail.
How long is the " Caller hears dead air --> No one answers " time?

To comfort the caller you could add
exten => s,1,ringing
exten => s,2,wait(2)
exten => s,3,answer()
exten => s,4,Background(/etc/asterisk/night)
exten => s,5,Voicemail(u201 at fakepbxname)

Leif