[asterisk-users] Best way to connect analog modem

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Fri Jan 26 09:36:54 MST 2007

On 25 Jan 2007, at 01:40, Bastian Schern wrote:

> Hello Asterisk fans,
>
> I try to connect an analog modem to Asterisk. The modems are connected
> e.g. to alarm systems or a cash terminals (POS). As PSTN-Interface I'm
> using a Wildcard TE110P (E1).
>
> Is it possible to connect the modems to an ATA?
> Which ATA I should use for that scenarios?

It is possible, but I really wouldn't use it for an alarm system,
modem over VoIP is unreliable.

I have had it 'working' with a sipura ata  and an E1 PRI over a
quiet lan segment.

I say 'working' because the most I could get out of the modem
with any reliability was 9600 baud - any of the higher speed modulations
failed miserably (and slowly).

If your analog modems are 1200 baud you should be ok :-)

Better get a device to sit in front of the asterisk and have it
split off a couple of analog channels before they reach it.

Tim.

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.net
www.westhawk.co.uk/