[asterisk-users] Planning 48 Station Install, Need advice on several topics

John French jfrench at vividvoicedata.com
Thu Jan 25 07:41:56 MST 2007

I'm planning a new * system which will utilize 48 stations (Polycom
Soundpoint 501s mostly) and a dual span PRI card and I have some questions.
The system will host MeetMe conferences of 10-15 users on a regular basis
and see fairly high usage as it is going into a medical setting.

1. I haven't built a system this big before, will a processor such as the
Intel Pentium D 830 3.0GHz / 2MB Cache / 800 FSB / Dual-Core be sufficient
for the task?  If not, what should I be considering?

Also, the system is to have a dual span T1 card such as the Digium T205P or
the T207P.  One spam will connect to the PSTN while the other span will
connect to a MultiTech RAS server.  The idea is to look at an inbound call's
extension and if it is a data call for the MultiTech, then dial the
MultiTech's trunk and pass the data call through.

2. Is there anything inherently wrong with my line of thinking here?
3. Is the Digium dual span card the one to go with here and is the onboard
echo cancellation better or worth the money?

believed to be clean.