[asterisk-users] How to exit from console?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Jan 23 12:59:52 MST 2007

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 10:55:12AM -0600, Tim Litwiller wrote:
> Rudolf Ladyzhenskii wrote:
> >Hi, all
> >
> >Stupid question, but how do you exit asterisk console without stopping
> >the asterisk?
> >
> >Tried quit and exit:
> >
> >*CLI> exit
> >No such command 'exit' (type 'help' for help)
> >*CLI> quit
> >No such command 'quit' (type 'help' for help)
> >*CLI>
> >

> >Any other ideas?
> >I started asterisk with -cvvvvg option. Same problem if use asterisk
> >-r to connect. Can not exit.
> Many unix programs you can exit with <ctrl> d - asterisk console does also.

The main asterisk process, when not daemonized, behaves that way, I
guess. However asterisk -r does not respect ctrl-d as a hint for "end of
file" (end of standard input) .

BTW: there is another way in which asterisk -c is not a standard
process:

start a xterm/putty window, connect as root and run a new asterisk -c

in another terminal run asterisk -rv . Now, what happens there when you
close that xterm window without stopping asterisk first: will asterisk
exit like any proper interactive program does when it loses its
controlling terminal? no.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org