[asterisk-users] weird undocumented extensions such as s-BUSY

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Tue Jan 23 11:32:32 MST 2007

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 1:16 pm, Barzilai Spinak wrote:
> So, in sum. It's just an Asterisk "idiom" or "best(?) practice" that has
> become somewhat common.
> Every time I need to do the smallest thing in Asterisk I have to Google
> for 3 hours and read voip-info for the more hours, and then read old
> mailing list post for 3 more, until I can filter out *real information*
> from the background noise.
>
> Maybe it's just me... I don't settle with the first solution that
> "SeemsToWorkForNow, even though I have no idea Why or How"
>
> Ah... the wonders of Early 21st Century Web Fashion and documenting
> everything in big lumps of Little-Ultra-Hyper-Linked-Wiki-pages with
> contradictory and obsolete info!!!!  Hopefully it will end some day and
> the world will come back to its senses.

After you're done hyperventilating, feel free to contribute documentation
which you find is meaningful, current and insightful.

Open-source in general is very much a "get your hands dirty" kind of software
experience.  This means that you are expected to play around, experiment, and
ask good questions, ALL without throwing a little tantrum as you just did.

If you want current manuals, completely stable software and someone to yell at
when your system breaks, Digium offers that, too.  It's called Asterisk
Business Edition.  Otherwise, dig in, experiment and try to leave the place a
little cleaner than you left it..

-A.