[asterisk-users] Problems with rxfax

Gavin Hamill gdh at laterooms.com
Mon Jan 22 16:06:29 MST 2007

On Monday 22 January 2007 20:19, Marco Mouta wrote:
> I would install Hylafax(opensource too) with Asterisk via IAXModem, it
> worth! You can keep all the features, hylafax running in same server or a
> separated one, and IAXmodem will be a Modem on Hylafax, and a simple
> extension on you *.
>
> It works great for me, and there are more users using this architecture,
> you can setup as much IAXModem as your servers can handle, so it's very
> scalable.

Just a 'me too' - we send about 3500 faxes per day via Hylafax (I appreciate
this thread is about fax reception), until recently using the onboard DSPs of
an Eicon Diva Server quad-BRI card, and the success rate we've achieved using
8 instances of IAXModem instead of the Diva Server card is just as high :)

The thing that really impressed me was that we're not using any kind of
dedicated (v)LAN for the link between the Hylafax and Asterisk servers.  The
IAX data is just shuffling across the same noisy LAN with chatter from a
hundred Windows boxes.. HTTP traffic.. Samba file sharing.. all kinds of
nonsense, and any problems are negligible!

Cheers,
Gavin.