[asterisk-users] Ebay Unwired Buyer, Using Asterisk?

Wayne Walker wwalker at unwiredbuyer.com
Mon Jan 22 15:33:11 MST 2007

Steve Totaro wrote:
> Just got a call from Ebay's unwired buyer and "The Voice" is Allison
> Smith.
>
> Adoption is wide but who is willing to give away their competitive edge
> (although ebay doesn't really have any real competition).
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Steve,

Thanks for trying UnWired Buyer!  :)

Yes, we're very happy with Allison's work.  I just checked and while I think we used some
of the existing sounds at the start, I believe (and ls -lurt concurs) that we've had
Allison record everything we use now.  I recorded most of our original sounds, but, as
many people refer to my voice as "the voice of a songbird.....strangling in hot tar!", it
was decided to contact Allison.  As UWB is a real time, auction is almost over tool, we
had her rerecord existing sounds that we needed just a little faster and instead of using
sixty and five, we got her to record sixty-five, etc.

As for asterisk, yes we use it.  We designed and funded the ExternalIVR app (so don't
blame Kevin for my ugly protocol design) and worked with Kevin on uncovering some deeper
bugs that our high volume use of asterisk uncovered (long live valgrind).  I believe that
Digium talked about us using Asterisk at Astricon 2 years ago, but that could just be a
trick of my fading memory.

Digium and the community:

      Thank you for Asterisk!

Also, just to clarify, although we work tightly with eBay, we are a separate entity.

--

Wayne Walker
Operations Manager

Note: My opinions are not necessarily the opinions of my employer.