[asterisk-users] Detecting Disconnected Numbers - PRI

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Mon Jan 22 15:01:08 MST 2007

<original message>
I am trying to automatically detect disconnected numbers when using the outbound dialer I have written.

* Some numbers hang up immediately with a Cause Code > 0 and no voice treatment
* Some numbers get voice treatment with a PROGRESS indication and an associated Cause Code > 0
* Some numbers get voice treatment with a PROGRESS indication and no associated cause code (CC=0)

My application can pick up the PROGRESS indication (if I get one) and handle the hangup, but not if I don't get a cause code!

Is there anything I can do to ensure that I always get a PROGRESS indication with cause code or a hangup with cause code?
Behaviour of the PRI seems to differ across telcos and also across numbers.

I don't want to just assume hangup on PROGRESS indication as this may not be a disconnected number - it might be a forwarded or redirected number.

I need to achieve consistency and this is proving very difficult.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so, which tree should I be barking up?