[asterisk-users] IP of SIP server changing

Paul Dugas paul at dugas.cc
Sun Jan 21 15:05:28 MST 2007

I've got my 1.2.x Asterisk server registering with a SIP provider using
their servers DNS entry, not their IP address.  My server is behind a
NAT.  The setup works like a champ for weeks then I get a call reporting
inbound calls are failing.  When my server isn't registered, inbound
callers get a "disconnected" message; very bad.  When it happens, I've
found that the IP address in the "sip show peers" output isn't correct;
it doesn't match what "host sipserver" reports.

Can someone explain to me what Asterisk does in the way of
hostname-to-address lookups when it's registering with an external  SIP
server?  What happens when the IP for the name changes?

The provider claims they've changed nothing and a little cron job I
setup to look up the DNS entry every 5 minutes didn't catch anything
when the fault happened again today.  I figure I should see what the
expected behavior of Asterisk is in this situation before going back to
the carrier.

Thanks in advance for any info.

pd

Paul Dugas
Computer
Engineer

Dugas
Enterprises, LLC
522 Black
Canyon
Park
Canton, GA
30114
    phone:
404.932.1355
      fax:
866.751.6494
paul at dugas.cc
http://DugasEnterprises.com

This
e-mail and
any
attachments are confidential. If you receive this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you should not retain, distribute, disclose or use any of this information and you should destroy the e-mail and any attachments or copies.