Fwd: [asterisk-users] Some queries on g729 license.

Leo Ann Boon leo at datvoiz.com
Thu Jan 18 21:10:30 MST 2007

Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
> Most of the Cisco phones sold "cheap" are UNLICENSED ("global spare")
> thus you would not be able to purchase (or at least aren't supposed
> to) the smartnet contracts, you need to buy the license ($100+) and
> the contract ($10 or so)
I'm always surprised by by the number of people who don't read the fine
print :). Even if you have a new licensed unit, it's only licensed to
run Skinny out of the box. SIP requires additional licensing.

Back to the G.729A licensing, I just received a new 'low-volume' quote
from Sipro. For 1,000 channels - it's <US$6 per channel (<US$4 for
5,000) just for the right to use G.729A. You'll still have to fork out
money to separately licensed a working codec - unless you're happy with
the suboptimal ITU implementation or Intel's IPP sample. One vendor we
spoke to asked for US$2,000/year to license their G.729A implementation
on top of the Sipro licensing.

That works out to a total of US$8/channel if we use 1,000 channel in a
year. Throw in the cost of license administration (because Sipro will
require audit), the US$10 charged by Digium looks very reasonable.

FYI.

Leo