[asterisk-users] About BRI / ISDN hardware. What to buy?

Alberto Pastore alberto at msoft-italia.com
Thu Jan 18 11:17:53 MST 2007

Jens Vagelpohl ha scritto:

> On 18 Jan 2007, at 18:31, Patrick wrote:
>> I think http://www.melware.de carries the Eicon Server ISDN cards which
>> have hardware echo cancellation. They are also the author of the
>> chan_capi driver for Asterisk. I use the Eicon Server BRI cards with
>> Asterisk myself and they work very well.
>
> I concur, I have a Eicon DIVA single port BRI card and it works very
> well.
>
> Cosmin, if you want to use it for Fax traffic as well make sure you do
> *not* get a V-BRI card. Those will not do Fax.
>
> jens

Tried almost all cards (Junghanns, Sangoma, Beronet, some hfc-based oem
cards, Eicon Diva Server).

Eicon is expensive but is *REALLY* worth it.
The other cards are just a waste of money (even if little money).

If you want a reliable PBX (who doesn't want it?),
Diva Server cards are the definitive choice.

The best card ever.
Zero echo problems, superb hardware echo cancellation.
Top reliability.
Excellent FAX support with Hylafax (only cards with builtin DSPs,
that is, NOT the V-series, as pointed out by Jens).

Easy driver installation and powerful utilities/configuration tools.

I tested BRI-2M, 4BRI-8M, PRI-30M on several installations,
even older 1.0 version cards (PCI 5v only) just work great.

I use diva server drivers & software source rpm from Eicon,
chan_capi from www.melware.org (0.7.1) on asterisk 1.2.14
(kernel 2.6.17.3). We've deployed more than 40 PBX (from 1 bri
to 8 bri) without a flaw.

I'm only a little bit annoyed about not being able to take
advantage of the onboard DSPs to perform audio transcoding,
because
of the lack of a suitable asterisk driver
(the cards themselves support hardware gsm/g726 codecs,
for instance).

Alberto.