[asterisk-users] Callback/ringback

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Wed Jan 17 11:58:49 MST 2007

Richard Soderblom wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Has anyone had any success in implementing a callback or ringback
> function in Asterisk?
>
> I've had a look at the callback-voicemail example on voip-info.org
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+tips+callback
> However it won't quite work for me.
>
> I need it for local SIP users which most of them don't have voicemail.
> If one SIP user calls another SIP user and the second user is busy or
> unavailable then Asterisk should inform the first user that the number
> they dialed is busy and hangup the call.
>
> Once the second caller is available again then Asterisk should initiate
> a call back to both the users and connect them.
>
> Any ideas on how to achieve this will be appreciated.

Richard,

That shouldn't be too difficult to do.  I recently wrote an agi binary
that does nag calling for me which I think is related to what you want
to do except that I am doing more calling out of the system.  Maybe
deadagi could work?

Here is it's use in a AEL macro I'm working on:
http://www.datatrakpos.com/pos/datatalk/images/nagcall.htm

The AGI (nagcall) simply takes some parameters and uses them to create a
.call file.  See:

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+auto-dial+out

There is even an example on the page above that shows using the linux
"touch" command to schedule the call to take place at a later time,
although I have not successfully done this yet...still trying.

The biggest difference is that you will need a way to monitor the called
extension to trigger a call back to the original caller using maybe
deadagi or .call files?

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+manager+API

I'm pretty new to asterisk myself so there may be (probably are) other
ways to do this, but this is where I would start poking around.

--

Warm Regards,

Lee