[asterisk-users] Asterisk not hanging up calls

Simon Tennant simon at imaginator.com
Sun Jan 14 15:54:19 MST 2007

I have noticed that Asterisk (version 1.2.13) is not hanging up a call
when the wifi handset moves out of range.

My setup is Nokia E61 connected to wifi access point (private IP range)
and then to server on internet (public IP).

I have been testing using the talking clock application, and walking out
of range does not hang up the call.

The call will continue for hours even though the handset re-registers on
another access point 5 minutes later with a different public IP.

Subsequent calls continue fine although I still see traffic heading out
to the old public IP address of the wifi access point.

I thought the SIP control channel would do some kind of keeping state
and time out a call after "x" number of failed replies.

I know there is a timeout option but would rather not set a timeout on
all calls.

Here's the sip.conf that I am using for the device:

  * Name       : 105
  Secret       : <Set>
  MD5Secret    : <Not set>
  Context      : from-internal
  Subscr.Cont. : <Not set>
  Language     :
  AMA flags    : Unknown
  CallingPres  : Presentation Allowed, Not Screened
  Callgroup    :
  Pickupgroup  :
  Mailbox      : 101
  VM Extension : asterisk
  LastMsgsSent : 2048
  Call limit   : 0
  Dynamic      : Yes
  Callerid     : "Simon Tennant (Nokia E61)" <>
  Expire       : 3595
  Insecure     : no
  Nat          : Route
  ACL          : No
  CanReinvite  : No
  PromiscRedir : No
  User=Phone   : No
  Trust RPID   : No
  Send RPID    : No
  DTMFmode     : auto
  LastMsg      : 0
  ToHost       :
  Addr->IP     : 10.15.11.8 Port 5060
  Defaddr->IP  : 0.0.0.0 Port 5060
  Def. Username: 105
  SIP Options  : (none)
  Codecs       : 0x70f (g723|gsm|ulaw|alaw|g729|speex|ilbc)
  Codec Order  : (alaw,ulaw,ilbc,speex,gsm,g729,g723)
  Status       : OK (266 ms)
  Useragent    :
  Reg. Contact : sip:105 at 10.15.11.8

S.