[asterisk-users] Echo...

Ken Williams ken at intermountainelectronics.com
Thu Jan 11 21:04:18 MST 2007

I've never understood why people would think it's a PSTN issue.  I'm sure 99.999999% of Asterisk users are using Asterisk on lines they've had regular phone lines hooked up to before moving to Asterisk.  In my case I've also tried having the server plugged in to two systems that are 200 miles apart from each other serviced by different telco's, both lines previously being used for years without issue.

I'm using Grandstream GPX-2000.  It works fine for VoIP calls both on the local net, and between locations across the net.  It works fine for outgoing calls, it's only on incoming calls that echo becomes an issue.  I did some brief searching on this phone with echo issues, but most things I found were 2-3 years old and people had said firmware updates had fixed their issues.  I've had the phones for 2 months and updated firmware then, so I didn't think it'd be the phone, but if it is would love suggestions.

I've read a ton on echo, love to read more, appreciate the link Leo, thanks for anything else you can offer.

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:
> *sigh*  Any time a call hits an analog 2-wire circuit there will be
> echo.  In normal PSTN only situations the echo is so FAST that you do
> not hear it.  It is only where there is a high latency path in the
> circuit like a VOIP phone where you will hear the echo.
>
> Recording the call on Asterisk will not let you hear the echo because
> there is no high latency portion of the circuit.
I'm fully aware of these facts. I only suggested this to help Ken
isolate whether is the echo on his PSTN side. He has been tuning his FXO
interface without results, which leads me to suspect he's got echo
elsewhere. Ken also left out what kind of phone he's using.

Ken should also read Cisco's excellent introduction on troubleshooting
echo problems:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk698/technologies_tech_note09186a0080149a1f.shtml

Leo