[asterisk-users] Re: Best inexpensive home office router forVoIP (QoS with maybe PoE)

Mark Coccimiglio n3whx at amsat.org
Wed Jan 10 15:34:39 MST 2007

Jon Pounder wrote:

> you should take your own advice  - an acre is 200ft x 200ft - what
> idiot would
> pay a consultant $7000 to tell them they need one access point in the
> middle.

I have a BA in Electronic Engineering, a Masters in Computer Science and
I'm an FCC licensed
radio operator.  I think I know what I'm talking about.

  Life isn't always as simple as that.  What if  its a warehouse that is
60x800ft.  still about an acre
(I've seen this one myself).  How will the system perform once the empty
space is occupied with
inventory?  How will metal shelving effect performance.  What hardware
should you use?  Netgear,
dLink, Linksys, Cisco (they are different), Alvarion, Proxima? If its an
outside area an AP in the
"middle" is not necessarly practicle.  You can't just use any antenna
combination you want  There are
rules governing use.  Are you certified to assemble and test such a
system for Part 15 compliance?
Do you know the specs and ERP limits?  Who has presidence FCC or OSHA
regs?  What about
other ISM bands?  How long can you make your ethernet runs or should you
use Fiber Optics?
These are the types of things that an Engineer addresses.

"...one access point in the middle. "  It may work it may not.  One
thing for sure is that the system
probably won't perform as you expect it.

Mark C