[asterisk-users] Which H323 module for asterisk

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Wed Jan 10 10:04:02 MST 2007

Pavel wrote:
> I prefer h323 included in asterisk tree,
> I have caller id issues with ooh323 and nobody
> answer to bugreports oh323 from inaccessible
> network is unmaintained/death project, incompatible
> with asterisk 1.4.
> PJ
Response to ooh323c bugs is very slow, and patches can
take some time to be applied if you manage to fix the
issue for yourself.

That said I prefer ooh323c, as it does not require
OpenH323 or PWlib.  I find building it easier.

> Michel wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I need your advice about H323 and asterisk!  ;)
>> Which one do you advice me to choose ....H323
>> (only gateway mode)? ooh323? ooh323c?
Since you mention gateway mode, then ooh323c is
worth testing.  The bugs that I am aware of are
mostly gatekeeper related (but not all).  Since
the channel doesn't have any external dependencies,
it is the easiest to test.  If it doesn't work for
your setup, there's a very good chance that
chan_h323 included with Asterisk will and then you
can deal with getting the OpenH323 and PWlib
dependencies meet. (Not a major issue, but one I
have preferred to avoid)

>> Which one is the best H323 module to use with
>> asterisk? Which one did you choose and why?
>> What is your "return on experience"?
Bugs happen.  I've found that the code for
chan_ooh323c is reasonably easy to read and
make patches for.  The current release seems
stable and I have it running on four light to
moderately loaded servers.

Dan