[asterisk-users] Is there a low cost cell phone base station for asterisk ?

Mark Coccimiglio n3whx at amsat.org
Wed Jan 10 05:05:59 MST 2007

M.Hockings wrote:

> I don't really know the name of what I want to look for but maybe
> someone could tell me if it would be available.
>
> I have a number of old analogue cell phones laying about here and I
> was thinking it would be useful if I could set up a short range base
> station for them that would cover maybe an acre or so.  What I would
> like to be able to do is use it to connect into Asterisk and this way
> have a useful wireless extension-phone range.
>
> I do know that there are WiFi IP phones available but based on the
> connection range to our WiFi access points it seems limited as is our
> existing wireless handset (POTS).
>
> Any thoughts, suggestions ?
>
> Mike

You have a few options...

Firstly I would suggest throw away or donate the old phones.  There is
much better technology then Analog Cellular.

Simple Choice 1:
   Get new GSM phones subscribed on the same carrier and a GSM
terminal.  Make sure the phones all have free in-network calling
(assuming that option is available in your country).  Also setup the GSM
terminal on the same group and hook it up to your asterisk server (think
of it as a cellular extension).  Lock the phones so that they can only
call each other and the GSM terminal.

     Cost: (assuming 5 phones & 1 terminal) ~$2000 to start and
$150-200/mo.  YMMV

More complex choice 2:
     Get an RF engineer to design you a real WiFi coverage footprint and
Wifi phones.

    Cost: $4000-7000 (or more) for consultation, hardware and setup.  No
reoccuring charges (hopefully).