[asterisk-users] WIFI SIP- The Best phone

Nigel Kendrick support-lists at petdoctors.co.uk
Tue Jan 9 02:19:30 MST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of mitcheloc
Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2006 8:52 AM
To: matthewmackes at deltasoniccarwash.com; Asterisk Users Mailing List -
Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] WIFI SIP- The Best phone

Those wifi phones are neat but I'd rather not carry around two
devices, does anyone know of any good dual-mode GSM/SIP phones?

I'm using a T-Mobile MDA right now and it is way too slow.

Apparently the Nokia e61 has a built in SIP client, but there might be
a new model around the corner (worth the wait?)....

Suggestions?

I've had a play with a Nokia E70 - the 'bar' version of the E61 and gave up!
Menu navigation is dire - I went through hoops trying to get SIP working - I
know from others it can be done, but I bailed out when I realised that to
put these phones in the hands of inexperienced users would be a recipe for a
lot of frustration and support calls.

I'd expect the 'PDA style' E61 might be easier to use. I have an HTC Hermes
phone (Vodafone V1605 in the UK) running Windows Mobile 5. I have fired up
the beta version of SJPhone on it and it was just about useable, but not
'production ready'. I hope that there will be some decent WM5 software in
the near future but am wondering what sort of battery life can be expected.