[asterisk-users] Re: Best inexpensive home office router for VoIP (QoS with maybe PoE)

Mark Coccimiglio n3whx at amsat.org
Sun Jan 7 02:23:22 MST 2007

Marty,
    Where are you paying $1000 for a 1600 series Cisco?  I can get you
20% off that price on any quantity (note: Sarcasam).  Its not the 1990's
anymore.  You can get them on eBay ($50-150) for only slightly more then
the Linksys.  The performance is rock solid.  Three-quarters of the
world have used them for decades.  I know of units running 2 and 3 YEARS
between reboots.  The power company reboots my equipment more then I
do.  Ok it is true that Cisco does not support the models anymore, but
you can't buy a services contract for a linksys router either.  It can
sometimes be a little difficult to configure without any technical
knowledge but that is what most of us get paid for.  It does impress the
customer when you bring in the "grey" box labled "Cisco".  As for
performance just try to put 50 people behind a linksys/netgear/dlink.
I've used 1605R supporting +100 users.  Not even a blink.  Finally,
untill everyone is using >10Mps FTTH the "broad band" link is still the
slowest part of the connection.  Not to shabby for "antiquated" technology.

Mark C