[asterisk-users] SIP/TCP?

Yuan LIU yliu11 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 5 16:22:25 MST 2007

>From: "James R. Stevens" <jstevens at athensdistributing.com>
>
>TCP is a connection oriented protocol ..as others mentioned, it superiority
>comes because it knows when packets are dropped to resend them. It also has
>mechanisms for flow control etc.. SIP is a connection-less protocol. It
>uses 'best effort' transmissions..if u want its delivery guaranteed you
>must encapsulate it.

So I take it that UDP is just a decision due to popular demand; timing
(jitter) is a frequently cited factor to favour UDP.  Is there any technical
difficulties in implementing SIP/TCP within Asterisk?

The reason I'm asking is that there are products that support both UDP and
TCP.  And SIP/TCP, RTP/TCP have their own merits.

Granted, SIP is connectionless.  So is HTTP (well, for its original design
anyway).  I notice that guaranteed delivery could be a good thing for SIP in
many situations; there have also been advancements that make timing less an
issue in RTP/TCP.

Is "switching to" SIP/TCP - RTP/TCP as simple as rewrap messages/streams, or
is it more involved?

Yuan Liu