[asterisk-users] Re: Best inexpensive home office router for VoIP(QoS with maybe PoE)

Allen Casteran allen at nisinc.com
Fri Jan 5 15:37:22 MST 2007

Mike wrote:
> You're quite right, I typed before thinking.  Upload is the problem
> anyways, since it usually (in homes) uses much more limited bandwidth
> than downloading does.
>
> No answer to my question though: How do you people handle QoS without
> relying on the phones to do that?  I'd like a box that can be purchased
> and installed easily (Linksys type of product)

Mike,

Unless your ISP specifically supports QOS on your internet connection
there is NO QOS beyond your router. Only within your network will the
QOS be effective. Once the packets go through your router all control is
lost. :)

This also means that you have little control over the priority of the
traffic coming through the router's WAN port. The most you could do with
QOS in this case is to limit outbound traffic from your PC if it would
interfere with a voice call. The same is not true for the return (ie
inbound) packets.

Allen.