[asterisk-users] Re: SIP/TCP?

Steven asterisk at tescogroup.com
Fri Jan 5 14:22:14 MST 2007

UDP is a stream of packets with no layer 3 receipt acknowledgments.
Great for games and media.
If a packet is dropped or damaged, the receiver just skips it and uses the next packet.

TCP is a more controlled transmission of packets with receipt acknowledgements sent back after a certain number of packets.
If the ACK is not received by the sender, it resends the packets again.

If you are familiar with serial comm., you can think of TCP as flow control. (maybe)

This resending or waiting is bad for the timing of game/media data flow.

TCP is more stable because it is guaranteed delivery.
i.e.: You loose half of a web pages packets, the web server will resend the missing parts.

UDP is preferred when timing of the packets is more important than missed packets and where missed packet can be accommodated for.

Steven

http://www.glimasoutheast.org