[asterisk-users] IAX vs SIP trunks between Asterisk boxes

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 20:27:13 MST 2007

Hi Damon -

> Can anyone comment on the overhead added when a SIP call comes into one
> asterisk box, is routed to another with IAX instead of SIP, and is then sent
> to the UA from the second box with SIP?
>
> DTMF passthrough issues?

 I've got a client with sip phones on several different servers and
IAX links between the servers, so I guess that's pretty similar to
your setup.  I've never bothered to check for overhead since it was
never an issue (all servers are P4 2.8 ghz or Xeon 2.8 ghz, 1GB ram,
with never more than 3-4 calls going through any one of the IAX
links).  I can say that DTMF works fine in this setup.

- Noah