[asterisk-users] voice fax modem and asterisk

Yuan LIU yliu11 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 4 16:01:44 MST 2007

>From: "Gregory Machin" <gregory.machin at gmail.com>
>
>Is it an external serial modem ?
>any tips on how to get it to work ?

These include a collection of cheap WinMODEM's - google for X100P clone and
you'll find lots of information.  The one mentioned used Motorola chipset
(commonly known as SM56), but more poeple have experience with one using an
Intel chipset.  If you don't like the trouble of eBay, you can go to
DigitNetworks and buy a "genuin" X100P for $18 (which I also did) - not that
there is much difference.

But the other response was correct: to do just answering and recording,
there are a lot more options than Asterisk/Linux.  Making Asterisk work with
X100P and clones is straight forward.  Tip: the MODEM card is just a Zap
channel for Asterisk.  All you need to do is to follow documentation.
Making Asterisk do what you want is also easy provided you learn Asterisk -
but more work than "answering machine" applications.

Yuan Liu