[asterisk-users] caller id ring tones for Asterisk Phone

Brad Templeton brad+aster at templetons.com
Wed Jan 3 22:20:52 MST 2007

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 11:15:19PM -0500, Jeronimo Romero wrote:
> I'm going to be rolling out asterisk at a small office and one requested
> feature was the ability to have a phone that can be configured so that
> ringtones can be configured according to the callerid of the caller.
> Does anyone have Asterisk experience with such a phone? Any suggestions
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance!!!

Many phones can do this.  Some have only a limited set of tones
that don't vary much.   Most phones can do the basics.  Some
let you have some uploaded wav file ringtones.   A smaller
number such as the SNOM phones and a few others can actually
be given the URL of an audio file as the ringtone, and the
phone will download it and play that.

I haven't tried it, but it should be possible on the SNOM to:

a) Have festival, cepstral or other TTS turn the caller id into
an audio file (ideally cached)
b) Put that audio file on a local web server
c) Set the URL of the audio file as the ring tone.

You usually set the ring tone with the SIP Alert-Info header, however
various phones use different syntaxes.

Do a search on voip-info for terms like "ringtone" and "alert-info"
for instructions on how to set them.

Of course, you can also do things like generate the audio and have
your computer, or a nearby computer, play the sound so you get
it reading the name or number.  Or you could generate your own
audio files for the people who call you regularly rather than
that trick.