[asterisk-users] connecting asterisk (trixbox) to traditional phone lines?

cb cb at mythtech.net
Tue Jan 2 20:25:45 MST 2007

On Jan 2, 2007, at 10:15 PM, blackwater dev wrote:

> I have trixbox working how I want.  How do I now (cheaply as
> possibly) get a phone number so people can call it from any
> number?  I am just doing a prototype so just want it done cheaply
> so I can demo it to my supervisors.

I just went thru this recently. I ended up buying a compatible modem
on Ebay. You can find them easily if you search for FXO or X100 but
then you may also end up paying a premium to get one that is
specifically being sold to the Asterisk community. (keep in mind
"premium" being around $30, so we still aren't talking about an
outrageous price)

What I did was checked the voip-info.org wiki on modem based FXOs and
then searched ebay for modems listed with the correct chipsets. I
lucked out and found one for $2.00 (with shipping I think it cost me
$8.00 total). Mine is shows up as a Motorola X100 (or something to
that effect). Seems to work fine, although I wasn't able to get
Caller-ID working correctly (but I think that was a settings issue
and I stopped pursuing it as it wasn't important for my pitching
Asterisk).

I too did this using Trixbox.

-chris
<www.mythtech.net>