[asterisk-users] RE: yet another faxing issue (outbound only, via ATA)

Bill Gibbs bgibbs at edurotech.com
Tue Jan 2 15:09:37 MST 2007

Follow up:
I used my Cisco 3660 that's a hop away and connected to a different PRI provider.
Faxes work _fine_

>From the ATA box
I faxed a DID that would come back into the Zap enabled Asterisk server, then talks BACK to the server that the ATA box is regstered via IAX2 (or SIP, I found they both worked) and was able to receive the fax fine (incoming fax went to email)

FAILURE FAX:
Here is the path:
ATA -> SIP -> * -> IAX2 (or SIP) -> * with Zap -> send call out via Zap channel

SUCCESS FAX:
ATA -> SIP -> * -> IAX2 (or SIP) -> * with Zap -> SIP to 3660 then out via PRI

works every time!

I tried G3 and ECM mode.
ECM was flakey work even through the 3660 but G3 worked everytime.  I have set the fax machine to G3 for the time being since it works each time.

Each outbound call actually initiates a call to a DID that terminates into my * with the Zap card, then talks via IAX2 again back to the original server.  No problems there.

So I know that faxing other fax machines fails so it's not necessarily that there is some weird loop calling out and coming back in  the same Zap card is there?

Recap hardware: Sangoma A101
Echo cancel: yes (and zap show channel confirms it's enabled)
I would think if echo cancel was the problem incoming faxes would fail as well?

So...wtf?!
I am surprised the 3660 is working outbound where the Sangoma is not, since it can receive fine.  The 3660 has a HDV card in it with DSPs to do the processing but the load on the Asterisk servers barely goes above 0.00.

So to recap:

ATA works fine sending and my Asterisk servers are ok
Sending the outbound call via SIP to my 3660 a hop away (DS3) to be routed out the PSTN (which then comes back to my Asterisk with the Sangoma card) works fine!
Sending the outbound fax via the Zap channels on the Asterisk server (the same one that talks to the 3660 via SIP that works) FAILS
Receiving faxes from anywhere into the Sangoma which talks to my 2nd asterisk server works fine as well!

Bill