[asterisk-users] Dual Ringing Tones

Florian Overkamp florian at obsimref.com
Tue Jan 2 00:58:31 MST 2007

Hi guys,

Leo Ann Boon wrote:
>> I have a couple of interconnected asterisk boxes connected to several
>> providers.  With one provider in particular (ATP in Australia) there
>> are two ringing tones heard on outbound calls.  It is not the end of
>> the earth - I am not reselling our services yet - but it is strange
>> being that none of the other providers we are connected to exhibit
>> that behavior.
> I think your provider is providing early media. Check your sip messages,
> look for 183 with SDP in the response from the provider.

Correct, early media is offered when this occurs. Solutions:

1) Add the 'r' parameter to dial, which causes asterisk to fake the
ringing signal. You will lose early media in the process

2) Modify the Dial command like was done in BRIstuff so that the ringing
is faked by Asterisk _only_ if the remote party indicated ringing too.

Or is there a more correct approach ?

Florian