[asterisk-users] Run-away Asterisk

Yuan LIU yliu11 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 28 11:56:14 MST 2007

After testing some AGI's, I noticed several extra Asterisk processes.  They
are not zombies, but can't be killed by safe_asterisk.  Nor will they die
when CLI issues stop now.  Then I read that each AGI spawns a separate
Asterisk process.  But all my AGI calls have apparently completed
successfully.  So there should be no reason for them to hang there.

Several questions:

1) Under what conditions will an AGI hang a process? (My test scripts are
pretty simple, almost directly derived from agi-test.agi.)

2) How to detect run-away processes under 2.4 kernels?  In this kernel, each
thread clusters process space and it's very difficult to distinguish them
without killing the main process.

3) Any practical way to detect them from inside Asterisk - e.g., do some
check after each AGI call?  All my AGISTATUS reports success.  I could use
System() but isn't that cumbersome?

Thank you.

Yuan Liu