[asterisk-users] Registrations, how many is too many?

Yuan LIU yliu11 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 28 11:29:54 MST 2007

>From: voiplist <gotvoip at gmail.com>
>Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:54:30 -0600
>
>Anyone have any idea if there is some sort of limitation to the number
>of SIP or IAX end points which can register to an Asterisk system
>(2.8Ghz dual processor, 2GB ram) while also handling 30-50
>simultaneous calls without getting into trouble?
>
>Of course the 30-50 simultaneous calls end up being 60-100 channels of
>mostly G711 VoIP.
>
>We have seen issues where our Asterisk just gets all crazy and SIP
>quits working all together, to the point sometimes where we can't even
>fix it with a restart.
>
>At one point we were using all realtime for IAX and SIP clients, then
>we went to text files (more or less), still we are seeing this issue.
>
>When this happens we can't even do simple things with SIP like "sip
>show peers" etc. because Asterisk just says that the application
>doesn't exist.
>
>This has been a battle for a few months and we can't put our finger on
>it. Can't seem to figure out when it's going to happen either which is
>VERY tough on the nerves to say the least.
>
>This happens during peak times but also in the middle of the night
>when call volume is slow to non existent.
>
>The only thing that's constant during both peak and non peak times is
>the amount of registrations the system deals with.

What kind of system stats do you see at different periods of time? (e.g.,
load average, network I/O, disk I/O, # of processes.)  When Asterisk says
"the application doesn't exist," is there any system errors at the time?
What does top say?

Such info can give other people a better idea in order to do hair cut by
E-mail.  When archived, they also help other people with similar problems.

Yuan Liu