[asterisk-users] jittery audio in voiceprompts

Florian Overkamp florian at obsimref.com
Tue Feb 27 21:43:15 MST 2007

Hi Murf, Jason,

Steve Murphy wrote:
>> I have been testing asterisk 1.4 with a view to deploying it in my
>> organisation and I am experiencing jittery voice prompts from the voice
>> mail system. I get this jitter even if I try a simple "hello world" dial
>> plan.

> What do you have installed, that will provide the 1Khz timing interrupts
> you will need to function properly?

Actually, I doubt the timing source will be required if you only use
playback or background commands with the supplied gsm prompts. We run
lots of machines without it.

Timing sources are used for some cases of musiconhold, meetme and the
likes, but not for regular stuff.

Jason, if you do a 'vmstat 1' on the unix prompt when a call is run,
does it ever hit an idle count of 0 somewhere ? If so, you have
performance issues, if not, you'd probably look toward the network, or
perhaps a silly Voice Activation setting in your phone.

If possible, you could also try and look at a tcpdump capture of your
traffic using wireshark to see if there is specific jitter or packetloss
in the audiostream as it leaves the server.

Best regards,
Florian