[asterisk-users] Do I understand GROUPs correctly?

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Tue Feb 27 09:34:44 MST 2007

Greetings Mike,

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 11:28 -0500, Mike wrote:
> Ok, that sort of makes sense.  But what I am doing is passing off a call
> into my Asterisk system to a cell phone.  I want this to count as 2
> "channels".  So, I am doing, in effect, this kind of algo:
>
> Answer the call
> Set(Group) to increment channel to 1
> Play IVR, go into menus, etc.
>
> Eventually go into a "Set(group) again to increment channel before dialing a
> cell phone using a "dial(cellphone#)" cmd.
>
> If that doesn't work, how do I accomplish the same kind of thing elegantly?

>From "show application Dial":

If the OUTBOUND_GROUP variable is set, all peer channels created by this
application will be put into that group (as in
Set(GROUP()=...).

This would make it so that your outgoing channel would be in the group
and the count would be 2. Is this what you are looking for?

Joshua Colp
Software Developer
Digium, Inc.