[asterisk-users] VLAN vs RealLan

Drew Gibson drew at oanda.com
Tue Feb 27 07:31:40 MST 2007

Julian Lyndon-Smith wrote:
> Given a choice, and a green-field site, would you
>
> a) Have a separate network (switches etc) for your data and phone
> b) Use the same network, but use VLAN's ??
>
> What are the pro's and con's of each ?
>
> TIA
>
> Julian

We use a hybrid approach. The two methods can live happily together by
trunking the VLANs to all switches but allocating particular switches to
voice and others to data. One VLAN is dedicated to VoIP.
The PoE capable switches are generally dedicated to VoIP devices but
some ports are assigned to other VLANs to connect relatively low traffic
devices that require PoE like wireless access points and security
cameras. Occasionally a VoIP device may be connected to a data switch
due to cabling or other issues.

Pro's:-
Reduced cost, greater flexibility, best of all worlds really.
Data traffic will not consume switching or wire bandwidth required for
VoIP as the traffic is (mostly) on separate switches.
Data switches get basic UPS support (< 30 mins, like the servers). VoIP
switches get full UPS support (>2 hrs). This minimizes the cost of
battery backup while providing the expected duration for phones.
Fewer switches required than physically separate networks
We can connect devices to any switch if and when required.

Con's:-
More complexity to manage. You do need to understand ethernet and
traffic issues. Mixed traffic trunks have to be carefully managed to
preserve VoIP QoS.

regards,

Drew

--