[asterisk-users] To use asterisk or proprietary hardware, that is the questio

Steven Totaro stevetotaro at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 26 22:11:15 MST 2007

>From: "shadowym" <shadowym at hotmail.com>
>Discussion'"<asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
>Subject: RE: [asterisk-users] To use asterisk or proprietary hardware,that
>is the question
>Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:42:21 -0800
>
>Thanks Tom and everyone else,
>
>Based largely on your comments I decided to just stick with what works.  I
>have a site using entry level ATX server hardware that has been solid as a
>rock.  I'll just go with that instead of more specialized fanless hardware,
>specialized power supply and 2.5" hard drives etc.  Maybe get a second
>motherboard as a spare of they go for the ongoing remote support option.
>
>I'll do some simple things like a put in a standby hard drive with the
>production image on it in case the primary drive fails.  The case has hot
>swap SATA bays so if the primary drive fails or get's corrupted anyone can
>just swap drives and they will be back up just like that.  I'll make remote
>offsite backups as well.
>
>Thanks for all the help.

You may want to just go with a 3com V3000.  It is priced pretty nicely for
your setup and has a sweet GUI.  It is 1U and can be wallmounted.  The
phones are pretty badass too.  It fits your stated requirements right out of
box and adding a new phone is truly plug and play.

Best part of the 3com solution is I have NEVER had an echo issue.

I usually pitch both systems as total solutions explaining the pros and cons
of both.  Some prospects wont go for a product "coded by guys sitting in
their basement wearing nothing but underrwear" (this is an actual quote from
a prospect).  3com has great marketing material as well.

Thanks,
Steve