[asterisk-users] Newbie would like some planning advice.

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Mon Feb 26 00:47:52 MST 2007

My wife and daughter, and to lesser extent myself and my daughters
boyfriend would like a communications system which allowed us to talk
to each other, both on a one on one basis, but also occassionally in
conference.  My wife and I live in a house with an internal LAN with
each of us with a desktop machine (hers in Windows XP, mine runs Linux)
and a Linux server acting as firewall and NAT router to a broadband
connection.  This server also runs a bunch of other services (web
server, mail server etc). My daughter is away at University but has a
broadband connection running windows XP, her boyfried lives at third
location also with broadband running windows XP.

My wife and daughter would both like to be able to talk whilst walking
around the house.  My daughter has tried a bluetooth headset connected
to a dongle on her computer but found the delays unacceptable.

Ideally a DECT handset, which communicates with a basestation that
either plugs into a LAN, or one of the computers would seem good and
indeed the Philips VOIP1211 would seem to possibly fit the bill and be
in a good price range.  Unfortunately, all I can find out about its
interface capability is that it is "Skype compatible".  The same is
true of most other handsets that I can find - they say they are Skype
compatible without giving any more detail.

I was thinking of setting up Asterisk on my Linux Server and providing a
limited service to my family as a PBX. But this will only be cost
effective if I do not have to make more than a few pounds investment in
handsets.

With that background, a few questions.

1.) If I keep everything at the SIP/RTP level, can I operate Asterisk on
the server along with everything else.  Its a 1.7G Celeron, and the

2.) Can I make these so called "Skype Compatible" handsets work with
Asterisk, or failing that are there any recommendations for
alternatives which do work, but have the wireless capability described
and don't cost a lot.

3.) Can Asterisk manage the NAT traversal that will be necessary for
communication from handsets on the WAN and handsets on the LAN.
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk