[asterisk-users] To use asterisk or proprietary hardware, that is the question

Matt mhoppes at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 16:48:40 MST 2007

If the harddrive is the only thing you are concerned about... dont' be.

Many proprietary phone systems use hard drives.    Toshiba, Samsung, and
Nortel to name a few run some of their features off hard drives.   We had a
Nortell system some years ago that ran the entire ACD system off a hard
disk.   Glad we got rid of that thing before the hard drive died!  That was
always a fear of mine...

Now.. back to your issue.
Setup a crontab to restart asterisk every night.   Use a version of asterisk
you know well (I like 1.2.6) and know is stable.    Finally, setup RAID-5 on
the hard drives.  That way if one dies, you can still replace it without
data loss.   You aren't going to suffer corruption of anything, and if
somehow you DO get corruption of a hard disk, I don't see why that couldn't
happen to the flash of a fanless system, or a proprietary system.

What the heck are you doing that you need fanless... and a system that can
never have any maintence, anyway?    Even a Nortel or Samsung may need
maintence from time to time.