[asterisk-users] fax support

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Feb 22 02:05:36 MST 2007

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Rilawich Ango wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have read many forums and discussion groups talking about fax
> support in asterisk. Some of  them conclude that asterisk doesn't
> support fax.  However, some of them conclude that there is no
> relationship between fax and asterisk as asterisk will only pass the
> fax signal to the fax machine.  I have tried the fax in asterisk
> before but failed.  Anyone can give me some guideline how to make fax
> support with asterisk?

Search the archives for some scripts I posted a few weeks ago.

But, as shipped, asterisk doesn't have native fax support, but it can be
patched in via the spandsp code, giving you 2 new applications: RxFax and
TxFax. You can plumb an incoming answered call to RxFax and it will decode
the incoming fax stream into a TIFF file which you can then process as
required.

Asterisk does have the capability to listen to the incoming line for the
fax startup tones though, so you can use this as part of an auto-attendant
dialplan script to answer the line, listen for fax, if fax, then call
RxFax or connect it to an outgoing analogue port with a real fax machine
on it, or if not, play a message (if you know the extension, dial it now,
etc.).

You really want the incoming stream to be a PSTN line though, trying to
encode an analogue fax call over the interweb is "problematic" and prone
to failure. If going down that route, I'd get your DID supplier to do the
fax to email conversion for you. (Theres a plethora of them in the UK,
don't know about elswhere though)

Gordon