[asterisk-users] Re: How to separate outgoing extens from the contexts from sip.conf?

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Wed Feb 21 18:25:30 MST 2007

Larry Alkoff wrote:
> Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:
>> Larry Alkoff wrote:
>>> Hello Eric.
>>>
>>> I don't fully understand your example.
>>>
>>> I _think_ you have in extensions.conf:
>>>
>>> [incoming]
>>> include => extensions
>>>
>>> [extensions]
>>> exten => 667
>>> more exten here
>>>
>>> [toll-trunks]
>>> exten => 91NXXNXXXXXX
>>> more exten here
>>>
>>> [toll-access]
>>> include => extensions
>>> include => toll-trunks
>>>
>>> My understanding of 'include' is it's as if the 'include'
>>> were typed line by line into the context.
>>>
>>> Since both extensions and toll-trunks are mixed together in
>>> [toll-access], doesn't that give anyone who gains access to extensions
>>> in [incoming] also access to toll-trunks?  How does anyone on the
>>> inside gain access to [toll-access]?
>>>
>>> Also I don't understand the 'doubling' of [extensions] by including it
>>> in another context.
>>>
>>> I'm probably missing something here.  Can you help me understand this
>>> better?
>>
>> No.  Any device in the [incoming] context will only have access to
>> anything in the [incoming] and [extensions] context.  i.e. it will not
>> have access to any exten => lines that allow dialing out of the
>> system.  include => is only "one-way"
>
> I have a feeling that the answer is contained in your words but still
> don't quite get it.
>
> Let me ask this:  How do inside devices get access to [toll-access]?  I
> would like my inside devices to have access to everything unless I
> specifically deny access.

Contexts are both one of the most important and most difficult concepts
to understand in Asterisk.

Calls from inside devices land in the toll-access context in
extensions.conf.  This is because of the context=toll-access line in
that device's section of sip.conf.  This context in extensions.conf
include =>'s the toll-trunks context.  Therefore, the inside device gets
access to the toll-trunks context.