[asterisk-users] Re: How to separate outgoing extens from the contexts from sip.conf?

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 21 15:11:41 MST 2007

Benny Amorsen wrote:

> LA> I have a sip.conf with stanzas for sip phones that have
> LA> 'context=sip-incoming for some Grandstream phones and another
> LA> stanza for a Sipura SPA3000 with context=pstn-incoming.
>
> LA> Reviewing the code today, I was dismayed to see that all my
> LA> outgoing extens were mixed into those two. I have been told this
> LA> is very insecure.
>
> It shouldn't be insecure. It is perhaps a bit unusual to have calls
> coming from your own phones labeled "incoming". That is probably the
> source of the confusion.
>

> /Benny

Thanks for the response /Benny

My understanding is that the 'context=whatever' in sip.conf is the name
of the context that handles incoming calls from the outside - that's
what I meant by 'incoming'.

I'm quite clear that 'incoming' means calls coming in from the outside.

The 'insecure' part is that knowlegable callers _could_ call in and use
various methods to make outside possibly expensive calls _if_ the
outgoing extens were in the same context.  I don't want that!

That's why I want a clear separation between the incoming calls from
outside and calls to the outside made by my phones on the inside.

The problem is I don't know how to use a context in extensions.conf
without referring to it in sip.conf (context=something).

Do you know of a way?

Larry
--
Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX