[asterisk-users] Open CallerID Database?

Brad Templeton brad+aster at templetons.com
Wed Feb 21 12:57:11 MST 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 12:08:15PM -0700, Natambu Obleton wrote:
> Why not make it like DNS and have each provider have their lookups
> deligated to a local server and then each ISP will run a caching
> server that will use a serial number system to get updates.. just like
> DNS.
>
> I know there are lot more DNS lookups then CNAM lookups per hour...
> isn't there? :)

Hey, we could even build a system where DNS can be used to take any
phone number and look up data about it, not just a name, but even
a URI to redirect calls to for it, a source of presence info and
more.

What a great idea!   Unfortunately, since phone numbers are
believed to be owned by telcos and not by individuals, such
a system would probably make the mistake of delegating control
over the numbers to the telcos, who would feel no particular
motive to help people bypass what they sell, and so I predict
it will languish for a long time with no real deployment in the
USA.

:-)