[asterisk-users] Open Source VOIP at Toronto Conference

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Feb 20 23:49:19 MST 2007

Hello, everyone.

I'm working together with the organizers of the IT360 show and
conference, at the Toronto Convention Centre April 30 to May 2. Last
year it was known as LinuxWorld and NetworkWorld Canada.
(http://www.it360.ca/)

Last year the conference hosted a successful
conference-within-a-conference related to Smalltalk. This year, I've
been asked to assemble a conference related to all things related to
open source VOIP. Of course, Asterisk is front and centre but it's also
about open source softphones, etc.

We've come up with a tentative list of sessions; what I'm looking for
at this time is:

- Suggestions from (or about) people who would be good speakers on one
or more of these topics?

- Feedback on the sessions -- is something important missing? Is
something redundant?

- Any ideas on corporate Asterisk end-users who would be
interested in presenting their case studies (or war stories)

- Any vendors who might be interested in participating

I'd also like to find out how to maximize community participation. I've
been  floating the idea of a "VOIP Garden" that would augment the conventional
email garden, which would show off the capabilities of open source VOIP
tools and allow people to place calls using various devices. As far as I am
aware, we are working on participation details for Digium, Sangoma and others.

Any and all feedback will be taken seriously. I am subscribed to the
list but would appreciate if inquires or suggestions for speakers could
be sent to be personally.

The tentative session list is as follows:

- Regulatory issues related to VOIP and open source
- A gentle introduction to VOIP for business
- Migrating from POTS to VOIP
- Installing Asterisk
- Wifi Telephony, the open source way
- Asterisk and small business
- Open source alternatives to Asterisk -- The Yate telephony solution
- The Future of Asterisk
- The Consumer side of VOIP
- Open Source VOIP for Resellers and Integrators
- Open Source VOIP War Stories
- Understanding SIP
- Linux as a Telephony Platform
- Open Source Call Centres
- What are Enterprises Doing with Asterisk?
- Open Source Telephony Security
- Integrating Asterisk and other Open Source Applications
- Exploring the unknown -- what you didn't know your phone system could do

Thanks for your help!

Evan Leibovitch
VOIP conference organizer, IT360
evan at telly.org