[asterisk-users] Rules about congestion

Yuan LIU yliu11 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 20 18:30:18 MST 2007

>From: Carlos Chavez <cursor at telecomabmex.com>
>Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:12:42 -0600
>
>On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 11:05 -0800, Yuan LIU wrote:
> > On my wild learning curve, I encountered numerous occasions when a
>channel
> > remained in "Congestion" state after a Congestion() step without going
> > the next step, which is Hangup().  I couldn't find a definite pattern
>but it
> > seems to happen when a channel is hung up by the other party or by some
> > other action.  Any recommendation about preventing such?
>
>	If you look at the following page:
>
>http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+cmd+Congestion
>
>	You can see there the following:
>
>"Sends a signal to inform the channel of congestion. This command waits
>for the user to hang up; it does not continue execution of further
>commands."

Thanks, Carlos, for the reference.  Guess I was misled by the many sample
codes that have Congestion() followed by Hangup() to believe that I need to
signal congestion before hanging up.  I'm starting to take Congestion() out
when I want to Hangup() immediately.

But congestion condition can occasionally go beyond timeout.  If it is a SIP
channel, I'll have a hard time even soft hang it because show channels cuts
channel name short.

Yuan Liu