[asterisk-users] Passing a variable from one Asterisk box to another

Richard Lyman pchammer at dynx.net
Tue Feb 20 15:22:58 MST 2007

Eric Bishop wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We currently have 2 Asterisk boxes and we pass calls to a fro. All works
> great except we now need to pass variables between them.
>
> For example now on box 1 we have:
>
> exten => _23XX,1,SetVar(Foo=1234)
> exten => _23XX,2,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN:0}@Box2)
>
> When the call dials into Box 2 the variable Foo does not get passed...
>
> Does anyone have any clever ideas?
as noted in asterisk/docs/README.variables (iirc)

you should see that variable inheritance can occur by prefacing the
variable with '_' or '__'

also, depending on the age of your asterisk you might want to start
using 'Set' vice 'SetVar'

also, having ${EXTEN:0} , the :0 doesn't do anything, so you should not
use it and just have ${EXTEN}

i hope this helps