[asterisk-users] Open CallerID Database?

Brad Templeton brad+aster at templetons.com
Tue Feb 20 01:04:48 MST 2007

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 09:02:56PM -0500, C F wrote:
> I doubt it's CNAM since it has old an outdated listings.
>
> On 2/19/07, Paul <ast2005 at 9ux.com> wrote:
> >Does google really have the true CNAM database? When I enter my number,
> >I get a search result for my business listing at yellowpages.com
> >
> >Are you referring to something available in a google area other than the
> >search engine?

Well, at one time Google got a large telno to name database.  I don't know if
they have updated it.  They can certainly afford to.  There are other web sites
that do reverse number lookups as well.

Still, starting with their database seems a good choice.  They might not
like you scraping it at once but a thousand * boxes pulling records one call
at a time is not something they are going to be bothered by.

If this, combined with other info from other sources (including contributions
from people who have CNAM) builds a workable database, you will eventually
get the LECs contributing their data to it.   People want their name to show
up correctly.  If millions start using a database, the LECs will want their
data in it, especially if entry is free or near free for bulk entries.