[asterisk-users] Looking for starting point?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Feb 20 00:16:56 MST 2007

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 07:37:02AM +0100, Patrick wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-02-18 at 14:05 -0500, Gary H. Thompson wrote:
> > Hi,
> [snip]
> > I understand what a broad scope I am asking about so would appreciate
> > any tips to help me get started. Since there are many ‘brands’ of
> > Linux what is the best one to start with? Which Linux will be better
> > when I get to the point of working with Asterisk? Any tips or ideas on
> > books, online tutors, discussions or anything of this nature would be
> > much appreciated.
> [snip]
>
> Welcome Gary. A few suggestions. Get the Asterisk book. You can either
> order it online (support the cause) or download it for free at
> http://www.asteriskdocs.org
>
> If you don't have prior experience with Linux than you should probably
> download a Linux distribution that is relatively easy to start with. Two
> of such distributions that come to mind are Fedora Core 6 and Ubuntu.
> The advantage of Fedora Core is that there are ready made Asterisk
> packages available from atrpms.net and laimbock.com/asterisk/
> I don't know if that is also the case with Ubuntu.

apt-get install asterisk zaptel-source
apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
m-a a-i zaptel

opensuse also has packages of Asterisk and Zaptel (not to mention
Debian, Gentoo and FreeBSD. I only have actual experince with the Debian
packages).

> Prepare for a bit of a steep learning curve. If you need help, read the
> Asterisk book, read pretty much every article on voip-info.org, ask on
> irc (server freennode.net channel #asterisk)

  irc://irc.freenode.net/asterisk

should work with decent IRC cleints...

--
               Tzafrir Cohen