[asterisk-users] Kernel and zaptel versions

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 21:03:17 MST 2007

>  > we're currently running trixbox and are having numerous call quality
>  > issues(disconnects, echo, garbled speech) and I'm considering wiping the
>  > asterisk box and installing a virgin copy of centos, compiling asterisk
>  > myself and installing freepbx on it's own..
>  >
>  > Is there anyone who can recommend specific software versions that have
>  > been proven to be stable and reliable?

What kind of voice connections are you using?  VoIP?  PSTN?   What is
your hardware?

You can probably solve quality issues without doing a complete
reinstall, and you should be able to get reliable results with most
all kernel versions and asterisk versions.  There are some exceptions,
but versions of asterisk and the linux kernel that come with trixbox
have generally been tested to work before trixbox gets released.

If your connections are VoIP, the first area to look at for quality is
network jitter/congestion/drops.  If your connections are analog PSTN,
can you get reliable connections without asterisk in the picture?
Also, if PSTN, is your voice card sharing interrupts with anything
else?

> Why install Centos -- its really old?

Does that make it less good?  I've found CentOS to be exceptionally
stable, which is my most important criteria.  It has too many services
running by default, but that's an easy problem to solve.

- Noah