[asterisk-users] Open CallerID Database?

Paul ast2005 at 9ux.com
Mon Feb 19 13:30:33 MST 2007

At least the current system involves some qualification(CLEC status) and
some policing(regulators can revoke CLEC status). Why create a system
where setting your CNAM requires about as much validation as registering
a domain name? You need to consider that most of the free data from
sources like 411.com can't be legally used in such a database, even for
verification purposes. Read all the fine print before you get too excited.

I will agree that the traditional system is not flawless. For example,
the ILEC did not check my articles of incorporation to see if the
business name was valid. However, scammers who go so far as to rent
space and install business phone service are a lot easier to trace than
those who buy a SIP DID using a prepaid Visa gift card.