[asterisk-users] Open CallerID Database?

David Gomillion david.gomillion at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 13:01:41 MST 2007

On 2/19/07, Robert Norton - SophMedia LLC <robert at sophmedia.com> wrote:

>  Hey Guys,
> I'm curious if there's an interest in a free, CallerID database? For those
> of you in the same spot we are, our current provider only provides us with
> the CND, excluding CNAM.

YES!

  Would creating a public database, managed by users be worthwhile to
> anyone?

I'm not sure the technical issues will be as easy to work out as one would
hope. When creating such a system, care must be taken to keep the
information accurate and up-to-date. And where would you get the information
from in the first place?

  Thanks – Any input is greatly appreciated.

What I would like to see is a distributed system that allows for updates to
be rsync'd in, so that those of us who keep our servers off the Internet can
move it through a QA process and then push the update through. Some type of
a mirror system, where the packages can be updated from time to time (like
daily).