[asterisk-users] Does Asterisk support DNIS?

Ron Fox rfox at dlabs.com
Sun Feb 18 14:36:26 MST 2007

Arriving late to this discussion, sorry if this has already been mentioned
but DNIS and ANI can be variable length without confusion if the sender
uses the "*" DTMF tone as a delimiter. Thus sending *ANI*DNIS* (pronounced
"Star ANI Star DNIS Star" allows the receiver to identify the two values
unambiguously and to find the trailing boundary (when the 3rd "*" has been
received).

We have a Channelized Voice T1 from a long distance provider that is set
up this way into our non-Asterisk PBX where the provider sends us ANI as
the full originating phone number and DNIS as the "last 4 digits".  So the
DTMF string seen by our PBX for someone calling one of our toll-free
numbers, say 800-123-4567, from a local phone in Hawaii, say 808-555-1313,
would be "*8085551313*4567*".  The PBX parses this string and uses the
last 4 digits DNIS to route the call from the T1 trunk group to the proper
internal extension or hunt group.

Do Asterisk and Digium or Sangoma T1/E1 cards know about delimited ANI and
DNIS?

--Ron